Friday, January 31, 2020

hope

tear me open, find that key I'm looking for
tear me apart, and reassemble me
forgive my sins and I'll forgive yours
but never give in, never give up

even though I want to quit
I haven't thrown in the towel
I haven't given up the ghost
I haven't stopped hoping

hope

intangible, infallible, faulty to a fault

I feel like giving in
then

hope

a life rope to a drowning mind
a calming presence in the chaos of my brain

and fictional as hell

The paradox of hope, when you're drowning alone,
is that it doesn't make you float
it saps your strength
makes your limbs heavy

like the burden that got you in the water
in the first place

it's what anchors you while drowning
flailing, thrashing about
making everything worse than it was
because you believe

and hope is responsible
it's why we smile as sink below the surface
hope will save us all
at the last moment

but by then
it's too late

for hope

because we're torn down, disassembled
without the key
to it all

hope






No comments: